Thursday 2 February 2017

Day one The English leg

AS I have grown older and hopefully a bit wiser I have also become a worrier, years ago I would tackle something without  spending too much time on the what ifs, Travelling up to Birmingham has become a worry where the what ifs have beaten the  Devil don't care cavalier attitude.
The list of what if were getting longer and longer, what happens if the coach breaks down, what happens if the motorway is closed, what happens if it snows/is foggy, is...whatever it could possibly be. so this year sense overtook me and we booked into the Arden hotel which they suggest is 10 mins walk from the airport.
no sooner had I booked the hotel the what if took over again this time what if the hotel is no good. what if the rooms are crummy what if what if what if.
however here we are on the first morning I had a lovely truly enjoyable meal last night, shared a bottle of wine with Mike Shaw and caught up with things.
slept well, well up to 4:00am when Nigel made us a cup of tea and then can you believe it went back to sleep. I have always envied Johnathon and Andrew and to a lesser amount Elona's ability to wake up wide awake and then go immediately back to sleep. Yes I know that I could and did do this years ago, but since retiring its unheard of, no matter how much I try and believe me some mornings I try really hard, but I just do not seem to be able to get back to that deep sleep. My fantastic Christmas present a Garmin Fenix 3wrist watch (thanks dear)  with more bells and whistles than a herd of Swiss goats tells me that I had 2 hrs of deep sleep 4.35 hrs of light sleep and was awake for 38 minutes. 38 minutes that's deserves a mention, 38 minutes including making and drinking a cup of tea and then back to deep sleep until I woke at 08:00 am.
Now I have been up over and hour and had a swim a sauna and relaxed yes traveling up the night before was the right decision.
Our coach trip up courtesy of Matt at Taunton coaches and the driver Colin was excellent  
I am impressed by the hotel, definitely the reviews were not in keeping with what I have found, I really have very little to make negative comments about. The meal was great, the room very comfortable and clean and the swimming pool and facilities were far above what I expected .
next stop is the Plane  lets hope that goes smoothly. 

1 comment:

  1. First night in India spent at "Sandesh The Prince" in Mysore. Presented with a Bindi and glass of fruit juice on arrival which was just the job after the long hot (and bumpy at the back) coach drive down from Bangalore. Great to see the bikes perfectly lined up and waiting for us in the hotel car park.
    Writing this at 04.30 whilst trying to reprogram my sleep pattern. Fun starts later this morning with 70 mile run down to Masinagudi. Made the mistake of leaving bedroom window open and have the bites to remind me of that particular school boy error!

    ReplyDelete